top of page

More about us

In 1906, the Christian Missionary Alliance of Nyack, New York, with the help of Missionaries Ida Ingraham, Mary B. Mullen, Theodosia Phoenix,

and Izetta Gamble, organized the 52-acre camp. These individuals served as advisors, teachers, and administrators. The camp was home to the

first-grade school for African Americans and later became a high school in Rutherford County. Unfortunately, the school experienced two fires

in 1916 and 1922, and it was temporarily closed in 1943 due to financial difficulties.

 

In 1948, the school reopened as an approved training facility for adult religious education by the Department of Public Instruction of the State of North Carolina, which allowed veterans to enroll under the G.I. Bill of Rights. This training program was utilized until 1952. The camp remained inactive until 1988, when it was renamed The Mary B. Mullen Bible Camp and incorporated. However, due to a lack of funding and out-of-state administrators, the camp was utilized less during the 90s. During that period, it was periodically used for Bible study, Vacation Bible School, and Christian training workshops conducted by various missionaries, ministers, and evangelists who were trained at the camp.

In June 2006, a new board was elected.  The Trustees of St. John Missionary Baptist Church in Lake Lure had served as "overseers" of the property as many of its parishioners were also volunteers of the camp.  The camp now holds its' own deed and is operated by volunteers of the community with policies established by an elected Board representing the members of local churches and community members at large.  Under a new administration, it has been restored by youth mission groups from various churches (both local as well as out of state), and loving, energetic, persevering volunteers of the community who participate in refurbishing/clean-up days. 

Our goal is to continually develop the property into a multifaceted community setting. The combination of a retreat center, summer camping facilities, recreational areas, walking trails, picnic facilities, reunion spaces, and meeting facilities creates a diverse and inclusive environment for community members.  ​Some of the tasks already taken on by volunteers and youth groups have included repairs and improvements such as the installation of new windows and doors, roof repairs, building handicapped ramps, and painting.  Camp activities to date have included Veteran’s Day programs, Family Reunions, Community Fun Days, Special Anniversary Programs, Community Easter Egg Hunts, Senior Citizen outings, Class Reunions, overnight Back-To-School campouts (with hayrides), Luncheons, Birthday Parties, and a wedding rehearsal dinner under the multi-purpose pavilion.

The funding for our camp comes from a variety of sources, including grants that we apply for to support specific projects or initiatives. Additionally, we receive generous donations from individuals, businesses, and organizations in the community who believe in our mission and want to contribute to our cause.  We also we generate revenue through facility rentals, where organizations or individuals can book our spaces for events, retreats, meetings, or other gatherings. This not only provides us with financial support but also allows us to engage with a wider audience and showcase the amenities and opportunities our camp has to offer.

 

Overall, the combination of grants, donations, fundraisers, and facility rentals ensures that we have the resources needed to continue improving and expanding our camp facilities, programs, and services. These efforts have not only enhanced the physical aspects of our camp but have also fostered a sense of pride, unity, and togetherness within the entire community.

bottom of page